Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Editorial Report 15a

For this editorial report, I decided to redo the introduction of my QRG, as someone suggested that I should make it less argumentative and more reflective.

Raw Content:
Procrastination. It might as well be the common cold, because everyone gets it, especially around the end of the semester! There is no student or worker that hasn’t been affected by this terrible disease, myself included. Even now, as I write this paragraph full of metaphors about terrible illnesses, I pause for a few seconds in between to watch a video or check Facebook. Missed deadlines, failed papers, and low grades are all possible symptoms, but there can be an argument made that, like the chicken pox, it is a necessary process to undergo in order to produce quality work later in life. People who procrastinate are not lazy, they’re optimizing their process.

Re-Edited Section:
Procrastination. It might as well be the common cold, because everyone gets it, especially around the end of the semester! Every student at this university is familiar with this issue. Even now, as I write this introductory paragraph full of metaphors about terrible illnesses, I continue to pause for a few seconds in between sentences to watch a video or check Facebook.

As I expand upon later, it would seem that I failed to change my ways. I continued to procrastinate throughout the semester, and couldn't curb my habit. But I don't think that this should be considered a failure. The fact that I continued to procrastinate, but was still able to work around it and in fact accept my tendency to procrastinate, was a success.
  1. I decided to change the language in the two paragraphs because an earlier comment had said that the metaphor I had used seemed force. I left the first paragraph essentially the same, but left the metaphor in the second paragraph.
  2. The re-edited section is a bit longer than the raw content. I also split the paragraph into two, as I felt that the introduction would flow easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment